When I first heard the words “Some men are Baptists. Some men are Catholics. My father was an Oldsmobile man” I knew I had found MY Christmas movie: A Christmas Story. Because my father was an Oldsmobile man. He rented a different one every two years so my childhood was populated with Oldsmobiles. In the rare case you have never heard of this movie, it tells the story of Ralphie, ever-hopeful he’ll get the Red Ryder BB gun for Christmas. Ralphie dodges bullies, a cranky father, an annoying little brother, and other travails of kid-hood. “A Christmas Story” is funny, touching and for some of a certain age, ridiculously familiar. I am such a fan of this movie that for years I’ve been saying I need to throw a theme party. Fun for all ages! Without further ado, here are tips on how to host an awesome “A Christmas Story” party.
How to Host an Awesome “A Christmas Story” Party
Set the Stage
If you are contemplating hosting a party centered around this delightful movie, I’m assuming you are a Super Fan. Speaking my language. You already have some of the merchandise from the movie, right? In my house you’ll see the Leg Lamp night light up all year long. The Harvey’s love this movie that much. We actually have a desk lamp size of the “electric sex gleaming in the window.” That was last year’s present to my husband. You see, each year I give him another little reminder of the movie that bonds us together this season.
My “A Christmas Story” Gifts to My Husband
These are such an inexpensive fun gift sure to get a laugh!
- The aforementioned leg lamp night light
- The desk size leg lamp
- “Fra-GEE-le” figurine
- Pink Nightmare figurine
- Triple Dog Dare figurine: “Schwartz created a slight breach of etiquette by skipping the triple dare and going right for the throat”
- Ralphie and Ole’ Blue figurine
- “A Christmas Story” drinking glasses
Sadly, I cannot tell you this years addition to the collection because my dear husband reads my posts.
Let’s face it, this is not “Eat, Pray, Love.” So I’m not saying you should only serve food from the movie, but here’s a few things to add to your menu.
- Ovaltine Holy Cow! They still make this stuff!
- Oh “FUUUUDDDGEEE” You have to have fudge at the party!
- Leg Lamp cookies
- Lifeboy soap (Not really! Use soap molds and red candy melts for a yummy version!)
- Silver candy BB’s (or any round chocolate candy would work)
- Mashed potatoes and meatloaf (bonus points for suggesting guests eat without utensils)
- Does anyone still make meatloaf any more? Must. Because I found this recipe on Food.com.
- Turkey-as long as the Bumpuses mangy dogs don’t get it!
- Chop Suey
Of course the movie “A Christmas Story” must be playing in the background during your shindig. It plays for 24 hours each Christmas Eve on TLC. So DVR or tape it. If you need it now, though, here’s an Amazon link to the rescue.
- “A Christmas Story” board game is always good for a few laughs
- Target practice with Air Soft rifles “Careful, don’t shoot your eye out!”
- Snowball fight
- Quiz guest with A Christmas Story movie trivia game
- Kids young and old can sit on Santa’s lap (just make sure your Santa isn’t too jolly!)
For the very adventurous, have Santa sit at the top of the stairs and guests can crawl up to tell him their Christmas wish. With a nylon sleeping bags guests can slide back down with a push of Santa’s toe.
Just for Fun
Why not stock your bathrooms with Lifeboy Soap?
Guests could come in 1940’s attire, or in big pink bunny PJs!
For the adults, serve a Singapore Sling (it is a red drink) but rename it the Red Ryder cocktail. The kids can have old fashioned soda like rootbeer and cream soda. There’s so many fun things you can do with this movie! Be creative and have fun!
So go ahead, throw a party your friends won’t forget! I triple dog dare ya!So go ahead, throw a party your friends won't forget! I triple dog dare ya! Click To Tweet
If you’re going to throw a party, check out the post “Organized Party Planning-Host a Crowd with Ease”
This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase a product, I will receive a small payment-at no increased cost to you. This helps me keep my blog running. Thank you!