Though exciting and symbolic of a new beginning, moving is a daunting task that takes a lot more brainpower than it should. There is so much to consider when you’re moving from one place to another, and it can be hard to stay organized. Keep yourself sane by using these easy moving tips to keep you on the right track.
Pack Smarter, Not Harder
Local moving companies Clearwater FL will pack your belongings for an additional fee, but if you don’t want to spend that kind of money you can certainly do it yourself. If you have a lot of stuff, it can seem scary to get packed up, but use these easy moving tips to make it easier.
- Purge your items. Now is the perfect time to go through closets and cabinets and decide if you really want to bring all of it to your new home. Half-used bottles of nail polish? Toss. That pasta maker your mother-in-law bought for you that is gathering dust in the unopened box? Donate. You will feel so much better getting rid of the extra junk.
- Use existing items to protect fragile things. Wrap glasses in clean socks and use your dish towels to protect plates.
- Pare down on boxes by using duffel bags, suitcases and reusable grocery bags to pack your stuff.
Whether you rent or own, your home will need to be given a good cleaning before you leave it. Gather all your supplies and prepare to use some elbow grease to get the job done.
- Scrub the bathroom from top to bottom. Use Dawn, vinegar and baking soda with a scrubby brush on the shower to make it shine and cut through soap scum. Do the same with the sink and countertops, and swish the toilet bowl with vinegar.
- Empty your refrigerator and remove all shelves and drawers. Hand wash all items with dish soap and hot water and wipe out the inside of the fridge with a wet rag and all-purpose cleaner. (Try to use unscented soap to prevent food from tasting like cleaner later on). Place a small container of baking soda inside as a finishing touch to absorb odors and additional moisture.
- Vacuum and sweep the floors once all the furniture is moved out. It’s a simple tip, but an effective one!
It’s not easy to move, but the process can be simplified by following a few common-sense tips.
More Moving Posts: